Monday, March 26, 2012

Upcoming Races (and Nerves)

In less than a week, I'm signed up for the Chi Town Half Marathon.  This is a little daunting as I'm currently only in shape for a 4, maybe 5 mile race.  Granted, this is 100% owned by me as I know I slacked this winter (I don't do cold, and I hate the treadmill).  I'm trying to change my thoughts from "must run and do well" to "use this as a warm up and just get out and get active" mindset.  I don't care if I walk most of it... which is good, as I will be walking most of it... as long as I finish something I committed to.

However, on that note, now that it's warm and spring is in the air, I have no more excuses.  In a few weekends my boyfriend and some friends of ours are heading out to Idaho for a late season skiing/snowboarding trip.  So I'll have some good quality days to myself.  In this I plan on shopping, eating Thai and/or Indian food (as he refuses to do so when we go out), and running in this little race.  It's the Bunny Rock 5k, and I literally just signed up for it 10 minutes ago.  Way up north at Montrose Harbor, it's be a nice way to spend my Saturday morning before getting out in the gorgeous sunshine to flex my wallet spending skills.

Also in my near future may be the Home Town Charity Run.  Go White Sox!

Anyone else in the Chicago area running any of these?

5 comments:

  1. You're going to do great! i actually perform better when i run less because my legs aren't too tired!! I normally don't run 5k's, but i just saw that the bunny one has a petting zoo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your boyfriend doesn't eat Thai food??? I don't know if we can be friends any more. Just kidding :-) Are there any good Thai places in the West Loop?

    I'm not currently signed up for any races (I am NOT in racing shape at all) but a 5K race before a day of shopping sounds like my kind of weekend :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - there is a great place right on Madison at Racine that is wonderful (Butterfly Sushi + Thai). Also a good place in River North that delivers down to West Loop (Panang at Clark/Chicago). I love Thai :)

      Delete
  3. See you at the Chi-Town Half!! I'm running it with my friend, who from what I gather hasn't been training much ... we're going to start at a 10 minute pace and "go from there."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am actually going to switch to the 10k instead. I really don't want to hurt myself... not worth it. I'm training for a 25k in May and the Chicago Marathon in October so no setbacks allowed!

      Delete