Thursday, March 8, 2012

New goals

Yes, it is March 8.  Yes, I know that new goals are generally thought about on January 1 as resolutions and such.  But I'm thinking about them now, and so here I go.  Last year my only main goal was to run (and finish) my first ever half marathon.  I did that on 9/11/11, and then.... I loved it so much that I did it again on 10/29/11.  My second one I even knocked over 8 minutes off my time.  BOOM.

So this year, with an inflated confidence, I'm making more goals, more specific goals, and I intend to see every single one to the end.  Go me.


FITNESS GOALS

Run a sub 2:20 half marathon.  My best time yet was 2:21:35, so if I can snub a simple minute and 36 seconds off, I'll get to see a 2:1x:xx, which will make me a very happy girl.

Run my first 25k.  As long as I follow through, I'm good.  I'm registered for the Fifth Third River Bank Run May 12, 2012 in Grand Rapids, MI!  15.5 miles, or about that anyway.  Right now after I run a half marathon I want to curl into a ball and die, so if I can just wait to die for another 3 miles.... I'm golden.

Run a full marathon.  Again, follow through is key.  I am registered for the Chicago Marathon on October 7, 2012.  It almost hurt me to type this one out.  The thought of it scares the living daylights out of me, but being able to say I ran a marathon would be totally worth it.

FINANCE GOALS

Get C.C. balance down to $0

Build savings account to $3,000

Start IRA or 401k.  Self-explanitory.

PERSONAL/RANDOM GOALS

Read at least 12 new books this year.  One per month, very do-able.  I used to read like crazy, probably 40 books a year or so... but that has since died down since I discovered the happy hour.  Currently reading: Snuff.  So. Good.

Travel somewhere new.  Easy enough.  I absolutely love to travel and see new places, and almost forgot that until this past year.  Being a few years out of college and broke makes it difficult to afford fun vacations.  In 2008 I went to Vegas with my cousin (freaking amazing time), then I didn't leave the Midwest again until New Year's Eve of 2010 (lame).  But in 2011, I went to Colorado for the first time - gorgeous, amazing, and I could live there - in case you were wondering.  Also tried skiing for the first time in my life.  And I went to Minneapolis for the first time to visit my friend Alanna, and headed a few hours north into Wisconsin for my first time ever (Brewers game!)  2012 has already taken me to the Bahamas.  Helloooo strawberry daiquiri :)

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like some good goals! Also I'd like to find more races that are between the half and full marathon distance. There are none that I'm aware of in the Chicago area! What the heck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Maggie - yeah it's tough to find those longer ones... I'm doing a 15.5 mile race in Grand Rapids, MI (just around the lake) in May, then I'll probably sign up for the 20 miler as prep for my first *eek* marathon in October.

    ReplyDelete